Book Club - "Dare Me" Megan Abbott


I picked up this book, on a whim at my local library the other week. Not going to lie, I am a sucker for a good cover and this one really called to me. Luckily, the book lived up to the cover and I really loved the story and found myself staying up late to keep reading, which is always a good sign! The story is set at an American high school and follows a cheerleading squad and the dynamic friendship between captain Beth, her sidekick and narrator Addy and their new mysterious Coach. I love a dark, teenage drama as there is something eerie about adolescent girl friendships, perfectly summed up by the author "there's something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls" which is so true with this story.


If you're not a fan of cheerleading, don't worry as this is nothing like Glee or Bring It On, this is a lot more dark and menacing and therefore right up my street. The cheerleading merely acts as a backdrop much like ballet does for Black Swan, and there are some serious links to that film here. The main plot revolves around the power struggle between Beth and Addy and how their friendship changes with the arrival of their new Coach. Addy, grows increasingly closer to Coach French, much to the dismay of Beth who has lost her captain status. 

I don't want to give too much of the plot away but basically, Addy's relationship with Coach becomes increasingly more inappropriate much to Beth's annoyance. Then ensues a game of cat and mouse between the female leads, where you never know what's going to happen next. 

This book really did have it all for me; mystery, sex, intrigue, scandal and even murder. I feel like Megan Abbott really caught the darkness and power of teenage girls and the intensity of competitive sports. I liked the author so much that her other books are now on my ever growing list of books to read. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a stylish crime novel such as Gone Girl or Girl on the Train (I have a review of the latter coming soon FYI). 

more soon
x


No comments :

Post a Comment