Book Club - "#GIRLBOSS" Sophia Amoruso



I have been waiting to read this book for what seems like forever and I finally got my mitts on it after a lengthy waiting list at the library. I can see why it was in such high demand because it really is a fantastic little book if you are looking for a bit of business/work motivation especially. This baby is full of advice on how to be a badass bitch or a #GIRLBOSS if you will. It is the story of Sophia Amoruso, CEO of cool girl fashion brand Nasty Gal who literally started from the bottom working in Subway and being a petty shoplifter but fast forward a few years and she is now at the helm of a multimillion-dollar company. If that doesn't inspire young women to go out and get shit done I don't know what will. 

One of the main things I love about this book is the awesome artwork that runs throughout, such as the ones above. I really love the top left one, I would get that framed it is so on point (or on fleek, is that saying still cool?). It also gave me the idea to make some cute prints of my favourite quotes which is becoming quite a little hobby of mine, I am a craft queen.


This book gave me the kick up the ass I needed to stop procrastinating and start thinking about what I want to do with my life. Despite studying Fashion at uni for four years I am not entirely convinced that is the route I want to go down.  Whilst travelling I was meant to 'find myself' but really I just sunbathed and got tipsy on cheap cocktails and didn't give much thought about what I wanted to do careerwise. This book has helped give me some direction and I am getting closer to knowing what I want to do. Also it has some really great advice on how to write a great cover letter, CV tips, the do's and don'ts of interviews and that "networking is not just for creeps" meaning I really need to get a LinkedIn profile on the go!

I think this book would be a really good present for a friend as it would not only be a perfect coffee table read as the cover is so cool but it is honestly a really good read even if you are not looking to start your own business. You can be a #GIRLBOSS in any way you choose. This story of a woman starting up an eBay store from her bedroom selling vintage pieces to running her own fashion empire with zero debt and over 300 employees is a truly awesome story and one you have to read believe. 

Well I am away to get shit done, as a #GIRLBOSS doesn't sit around on her ass all day she kicks ass (taking bookings for motivational speeches guys).

back soon
x


No comments :

Post a Comment