DIY: Blonde Hair Dye


I have cut my own hair countless of times mainly because I am one of those rare people who does not enjoy the hairdressers or the expense of it. So I decided to cut my own hair again(top tip  - split your dry hair into bunches to where you want your hair length to be and cut a straight line below the bobble with very sharp scissors) which actually turned out really well. I was after a straight, shoulder length blunt cut with a big side part a la Margot Robbie #girlcrush, and it was easy enough to achieve this myself as no layers are required! Me being me I didn't stop there and decided to finally take the plunge and dye my hair blonder. I have previously only had highlights in my hair so I have never used a home blonde dye kit...
I followed the instructions on the box home dye with hilarious results. I had one of those double take moments where you see yourself in the mirror and immediately notice something wrong. My roots which are about 3 inches long were bright orange after havign the dye on for 30 minutes, FML. Safe to say I washed that out as quickly as humanly possible. After many Google searches I found out it was because the bleach in the kit hadn't been strong enough to fully lift my brown roots but it took really well to my previously highlighted hair. I was a bit scared of going back in and dying my hair again to try and correct the orangeness and the thought of totally bleaching my head by myself seemed too risky for a novice like me. So I did some research on purple toning shampoo as I knew that was good for knocking out yellow tones from blonde hair. I picked up Lee Stafford's Bleach Blondes Shampoo and Conditioner and Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Toning Shampoo and Conditioner.



This is what I looked like after using the Lee Stafford products and it did help to tone tone the orange tones and blend it better with the rest of my hair but it didn't really remove the yellow brassiness as you can kind of see from the above pictures.

Luckily the Fudge products properly sorted out the colour and made it look more natural. 


As you can see this shampoo and conditioner totally did the trick. I actually lathered the shampoo slightly and left it on my towel dried roots for 15 minutes before washing out and conditioning. It left my hair almost silver but in a good way! I only use this once a week as it is an intense process and can change your hair colour very easily if left in for too long, ain't nobody got time for that. 

All in all I am rather happy with my DIY haircut and colour. I would use a drugstore hair dye again but try go for an even cooler light blonde or maybe even finally bleach it and become the platinum blonde bombshell... 


watch this space
x

No comments :

Post a Comment