Book Club - "Bossypants" Tina Fey


I am going to put it out there, I loved this book. It took me a while to warm to it (aka it took me about 3 weeks to read it) but I did really enjoy it. Like Poehler's Yes Please and Dunham's Not That Kind of Girl I do think you have to be a fan of the funny lady writing the book and of the show they have created, in this case it is Tina Fey's quirky sitcom 30 Rock.



I love this reasoning for the title of her book, Fey is an open feminist and naturally I love that about her. It is always women who get called bossy bitches but men get called things like assertive and in control for doing the exact same thing - not cool. 

Speaking of shit hot feminists, Fey included a badass chapter dedicated to her BFF Amy Poehler. I love how much these two amazing woman love each other, reminds me of my bestie. 


My favourite chapter was actually about her father who seems like a straight up legend and a Dad you certainly wouldn't mess with.


I mean his name is freakin' Don, doesn't get much cooler than that. 

Now this book is similar to Poehler's in that it reflects on her childhood and her early start in comedy as well as her Film and TV career, particularly on 30 Rock and SNL so I do think you need to have some knowledge on Fey and her shows to appreciate the book. 
That being said compared to Parks and Recreation and Girls30 Rock is my least favourite probably because I binge watched it whilst writing my dissertation, meaning it was playing in the background but I was only paying about 40% attention at any given time. I did still enjoy the series just not as much as the others. 

I would recommend this book to fans of Fey and those who enjoyed Poehler's Yes Please too. I did really enjoy it as it was funny, smart and honest much like the author herself. 

Next book review is Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, being nice and consistent with my female empowered autobiographies.

More soon
x

No comments :

Post a Comment