Book Club - "Yes Please" Amy Poehler


I was so happy when I finally got my hands on this book and I wasn't disappointed after putting it down either. This book is Amy Poehler so if you are a fan grab it ASAP Rocky and even if you aren't a fan (I mean seriously you should be) I think you can still enjoy this book as its the perfect mix of autobiography and self help book. Poehler gives great advice throughout on motherhood, careers, divorce, sex and relationships all with positivity and humour, a winning combo btwssss.
 

Don't you just wanna pinch those lil cheeks? Just me... okay. This book is filled with childhood pictures, photos from her beginnings in comedy and her time at SNL and Parks and Rec which are so fun to see a kind of behind the scenes look at her life. Also she has some hilarious shots such as her creating her high school yearbook photo with huge 80s hair, comedy gold right there. 

Poehler explains early on why she named her book Yes Please as described below:


I think the title is perfect and really sums up Amy's persona, I love her because she seems like a really nice, normal gal that you could just hang out with and talk about random shit. 

Amy's broken her book into three sections with hilarious photoshoots to boot.




How awesome are the titles for all of these sections?! If you are still doubting how awesome this girl is check out the title of this chapter:


Yeah she rules. So many of the chapters are filled with all her crazy times at SNL including dishing on celebrity hosts and the one sketch she regrets... no spoilers here!

She also dedicates a chapter to her comedy sister Tina Fey, I have just started reading Bossypants so it's good to hear that Tina wrote a chapter about Amy too #besties. 


I loved the chapter about Parks and Recreation best because I have just finished watching the final season (sob) and it was so cool to hear about the making of the show and tit bits about all the cast, especially Chris Pratt because he is the best. 


Overall I really loved this book, it has it all; great advice, humour, insight on her life and best of all she is never patronising and really relatable. It has what Dunham’s Not That Kind of Girl lacked as it feels a lot more personal and realistic. 

The best way I can describe this book is that it feels like you can hear Amy typing away on her keys, as if you are reading her doing so over her shoulder, that’s how personal and connected you feel to her and stories she shares.

I Chuckled, smiled and even teared up throughout -couldn't recommend this book more.

She even dedicates her book to the nice lady at LAX Lost and Found who returned her misplaced laptop and manuscript to her. How cute is that photo, again proves how awesome Amy is.


In case this hasn't convinced you to A) read this book and B) love Amy Poehler then I will leave you with this inspired quote from the book and lady herself:

“It takes years as a woman to unlearn what you have been taught to be sorry for. It takes years to find your voice and seize your real estate”

Happy reading peeps.

Next up, yup you guessed it, Bossypants by Tina Fey.

x

No comments :

Post a Comment